About Me

My photo
I am spending my gap year between undergrad and grad school teaching English in Austria.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Settling in at Heidelberg

Well today marks the two week anniversary since I let the U.S. for my new adventure... Germany.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to post sooner, but the past two weeks have been very busy.  There is a lot of bureaucratic work that has to be done within your first few days of arriving.  Now I am starting to relax.

Currently I am in a Winter Academy at University of Mannheim brushing up on my German, especially the grammar. It is neat since there are people from all around the world of all different ages in this program.  So far I have gone with this program to Heidelberg's Castle, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Mannheim's Palace, and wine tasting.  Besides all the trips you can sign up for, there are free workshops and seminars after class so you can work more on your language skills in a certain area.  There is also a student government program, Visum, that works with integrating the international students. They do fun programs every week that are discounted like bowling and happy hour.  Tomorrow night there is a speed dating party run by Visum that I can't wait to go to! The only bad thing is that living in Heidelberg makes it difficult to get to Mannheim and home at night, because there are fewer trains.

Living in Heidelberg so far though has been amazing! It is so beautiful here. I live in an old U.S. military base that the University of Heidelberg converted into dorms. It is cool because there are still some American outlets spread throughout my apartment. I am not very close to the city center, but it is a nice quiet neighborhood.  I live with two German girls. We each have our own bedrooms and share the bathroom and kitchen.  My bedroom is a lot bigger than bedrooms in college dorms in America, but I have the smallest room here!  I am starting to decorate it, and make it feel like my home.  My roommates are very nice and have been inviting me out.  They only speak German with me, which has helped me a lot in the past two weeks to improve my speaking and thinking skills.  Hopefully by the time I come home I'll be able to speak as fast as them!

Well I leave you now with some pictures. This is the view of Heidelberg from the Castle.

I am standing on the roof of the tallest building in Frankfurt. You can see the entire city from this platform.

Lastly, a picture of me (with my future car) in Stuttgart at the Mercedes-Benz Museum.

Liebe Gruesse
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment