About Me

My photo
I am spending my gap year between undergrad and grad school teaching English in Austria.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

This place is a Bob Ross painting...

Gruss di!

I figure successfully surviving my two weeks in Saalfelden, Austria deserves a post or perhaps even better a prost!

First off, funny story Saalfelden am Steinernen Meer literally translates into "Halls of Fields on the Stone Sea." So I decided to ask a friend here if the stone sea was a lake or what, she laughed hysterically.  All she could say is "There are no seas in Austria!" True. Austria is landlocked, so what is this stone sea? It's a mountain... should have guessed that one since I'm surrounded by mountains...

So far I have been settling in and crafting to make my room look like home. I am still getting used to waking up every morning to a Bob Ross painting.  Seriously look at those happy little trees and the glorious mountains...

This is the view out my window by the way...

As per usual, I have been exploring as much as I can. Unfortunately, it rained all week upon my arrival, but my first weekend was been beautiful Fall weather.

So far, I have also learned that I do not speak Austrian, especially the strong dialect here (Pinzgauer).  Everyone looks at my like I'm crazy, whenever I speak in High German (which is all the time).

I can't help but compare my time here so far to my time in Heidelberg:

1. In Heidelberg, I could understand everyone... if only I could understand anyone here. SAT time: High German:Austrian::British English:American English... they use completely different words and pronunciations :(

2. In Heidelberg, public transportation was awesome and no one drove cars. Here, everyone drives their car everywhere, and the buses are not very convenient.

3. In Heidelberg, everything was rather organized. In Austria, everyone has no stress (which stresses me out). I start teaching class on Tuesday and I still don't know my schedule!

The BIGGEST difference though is everyone in Austria is so friendly... It's actually a nice change from Germany. When you walk into a restaurant, you greet everyone there; and likewise, when you walk out of a restaurant, you say goodbye to everyone there. And other customers respond! Same thing goes on the bus or even just passing a stranger on the street. It's actually quite lovely.

To end, I give you some lovely photos of my town. All photos are available on Facebook (AUSTRIAN LIFE) for your viewing pleasure... For those of you without Facebook, all photos are also on my Snapfish under the same album (Austrian Life). Below is a link:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=11097974008/a=74974304_74974304/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Rathausplatz (town square) on a beautiful Fall day!

A view of town... and lots of cows

Ritzensee... the lake in Saalfelden.

Pfiat di!
Kristin

P.S. You can find out right away when I post a new blog by adding yourself to the email list on the sidebar :)

No comments:

Post a Comment