About Me

My photo
I am spending my gap year between undergrad and grad school teaching English in Austria.

Monday, November 25, 2013

I am a horrible blogger... aka October catch-up

Griaß di!

So much has happened in the past two months, that I find little spare time to relax, let alone to blog. I apologize for my lackadaisical efforts, but I promise to enlighten you to all I have learned thus far.

We can begin with my greeting. You may notice it's spelled differently from last time. Well that's because Austria has it's own unique set of greetings, spellings and pronunciations, which has not failed to confuse me these past few weeks. I discovered I had been spelling and pronouncing this typical Pinzgau greeting wrong. Whoops!

I am starting to gain a better grasp on Austrian pronunciation, but still sometimes, I find myself tuning out people and shutting down my brain. It's really stressful and actually physically hurts to try to listen to dialect think of the High German translation and make sure I understand what's going on, whilst keeping up with the conversation. It's much easier just to go into sleep mode, which I consciously have to avoid.

It's actually been an issue here just staying up because I live in one of the foggiest regions of Austria. By foggy I mean sometimes I can't even see the mountains or trees outside my window. The sun is completely blocked out, which means, my internal clock has been thrown off. I'm told though that with the snow in Winter, the sun comes back. Let's hope so...
Where'd the mountain go?

Anyways, to try to keep my energy up, I have been discovering Saalfelden. Below are some of the fun things I found.
Outside a cafe
 Outside the Catholic Church
 World War II memorial in the Church gardens
 St. George slaying the Dragon with the Rathaus in the reflection
 My favorite building... it's actually a bank
Go Stags!

Pfiat di!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment