About Me

My photo
I am spending my gap year between undergrad and grad school teaching English in Austria.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Teaching in Austria

Griaß di!

So the number one question people have asked me is what classes are like. I only teach 13 hours a week, but every other week I have a different class. Basically I have 24 classes, so I've experienced many different classroom environments.

What's the number one question Austrian students have for an American? "Are house parties really like in the movies?" "Are college parties like in the movies?" Actually kids, they are even crazier sometimes.

I teach in 3 different schools. One is a technical school, so it's mostly boys. The second is a business school, which is mostly girls. And my main school is a normal high school with focus on sports and languages, so my classes are mixed.  In each school, I have a very different experience depending on the class. Sometimes graduating classes don't talk as much as students in the Sophomore year!

However, as in all schools, there are some stellar students and some students who could care less. I try to make my lessons as interactive as possible, because just sitting there taking notes is boring. But the same lesson works with various degrees of success in different classrooms. This year is certainly teaching me to be flexible, go with the flow, and adapt to the environment. Good life lessons overall.

I also learn an amazing amount of vocab in the classroom as I try to translate things for students struggling for a word. Of course, I have also learned a lot about myself as well.

The greatest moments in the classroom? I have three. One is my students telling me America gained its independence from Britain after World War II. The second is when one of my boys told me, "Your eyes shine brighter than the stars." Boys in Austria think they have as much game as boys in America.

The greatest moment ever though is playing the Austrian "national anthem" for students aka Edelweiss. The horrified and puzzled looks on their faces says it all. Most Austrians have never even heard of the Sound of Music, let alone seen it. Explaining the American stereotypes for Australia Austria has been a great way to bring greater cultural awareness in the classroom.

And while I'm on the subject of the von Trapps, below are some of my favorite Maria moments from a hike I begrudgingly went on behind my school.
 The hills are seriously alive with the sound of music

 The castle behind my school, my dorm and my town :)
 Basking in the sun of a glorious day
Why do I have a fear of heights? I think these depictive memorials of people being impaled after falling off the side of a mountain don't help my case at all.

Pfiat di!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment